Friday, May 15, 2009

5th Annual Long Island Lighthouse Challenge

Fire Island Lighthouse, Long Island, NY


This weekend, DH and I are headed back to Long Island for the 5th Annual Long Island Lighthouse Challenge. We missed it last year because we were in the process of buying a house and moving.

The Long Island Challenge is the newest of the Challenges, and they're still working out the kinks here and there, but overall, it's a fun experience and a nice way to spend the weekend. For those of you unfamiliar with the "Challenge" concept, basically it involves visiting selected lighthouses over a 2 day period and collecting a souvenier (provided by the challenge sponsors). When you've collected all your souveniers, you present them at the last lighthouse you visit and you'll be given a completer souvenier. Past souveniers have included postcards, bookmarks, pins and wooden coins. There's no cost to participate in the Challenge itself, although some sites have nominal admission or parking fees. Of course, any donations you'd like to make towards lighthouse preservation are always accepted and greatly appreciated.

If you happen to be in the Long Island, NY, area, and are looking for something to do, check out the challenge. You can download a brochure with directions from the LI Lighthouse Society's webpage, and you're not required to visit all the sites. The nice thing about the challenge is that lighthouses that may not normally be open to the public are open this weekend and staffed by some pretty knowledgable volunteers.

And if you can't make it this weekend, there are challenges in both Maryland (September) and New Jersey (October). DH and I have done both of those as well, and always have a great time.

16 comments:

CindyMae said...

Oh my goodness that sounds like such a great time! i love light houses and of course where I live . . . well, we just don't have them nor do we need them! Hope that you have a great time!!

Rachel S said...

I bookmarked the Maryland one. SO is a huge lighthouse fan, and we'll have to go on this. Funny, though, he'd never climbed one til we went to Assateague

Von said...

Looks like you have a great time planned! Have fun!

Kathy A. said...

Oh hun - I am so jealous. I want to come too. Take lots of pictures and have lots of fun. Can I pretend that I am with you.

Brigitte said...

That must be a lot of fun. Enjoy.

Pumpkin said...

I'm so jealous but I do hope you have a great time :o)

You might have to come to NS and check out the lighthouses here and possibly stop by for a visit ;o)

AnnMcD said...

What an interesting way to spend a weekend Jennifer. I hope you had fun!

Jenna said...

What fun, Jennifer! Have a wonderful time.

Meari said...

That sounds like so much fun. I'd do it if I were there!

Kim B said...

What fun! Lighthouses always remind me of my grandfather.

Old Yankee Stitcher said...

Sounds like a fun excursion for you both. Ocean air must be amazing. CJ ok;-)

tammie said...

sounds great fun have a great time

stitcherydoo said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! Hope you guys have a blast!

Erica said...

Thanks so much for your comments on my bees! I so appreciate it. When you are shaken up, it is nice to know that you are not totally out there alone, and other people can sympathize!
Erica

Christine said...

Hey Jennifer, can you email me?? It's in regards to the contest on my blog! (mtrl_girl at yahoo dot ca)

Michele B. said...

Hi - Just popping by to say hello and let you know I miss your posts. Hope all is well!