Saturday, May 15, 2010

Two more Bride's Tree Ornaments

Way back in 2008, I started on a project to stitch a set of Bride's Tree Ornaments for DH's cousin, who was getting married on August 1. While I did manage to get the first one stitched AND finished before the wedding, the rest of them kind of fell by the wayside. I did (do) have at least some of them stitched, just not finished into an ornament, but when I decided to buckle down and finish my son's first ornament into an actual ornament BEFORE I put away the Christmas decorations this year, I decided to finish up a few other ornaments I had hanging around.

Mind you, I am not a big fan of finishing things, unless I have an idea in mind. And even then, sometimes the tedious nature of finishing hampers my progress. But I am bound and determined to finish up AND send these ornaments to DH's cousin before their second anniversary in August. Wish me luck - I think I am going to need it!

This is the "bird in a nest" ornament, a freebie available on the Waxing Moons Website.


Spring Bluebird by Waxing Moon Designs
Stitched over 1 on 18 ct. fabric with DMC threads

I finished it with a pretty piece of floral fabric on the back and a bit of store bought satin cording.

This one I am going to have a VERY hard time parting with -- it's one of my favorites:


Christmas Hearts by Just Nan
Stitched on 32 ct. Bone fabric with overdyed and DMC threads, plus beads

This is one of those ornaments I knew exactly how to finish before I even started stitching it, and it was inspired from beginning to end, not to mention a lot of fun to stitch. So much so that I'm going to stitch it at least twice more - once more in this color variation, and a second time using pink and silver instead of red and gold.

It fit PERFECTLY into a tiny wooden embroidery hoop that I sanded and painted a pretty shade of green to match the thread. I can't stress enough how much a light sanding with a fine grit sandpaper can improve the look of craft store wooden objects. After sanding, I wiped the hoop with a damp paper towel to remove the dust, let it dry, then put on a coat of sealer (available in the paint section with the acrylic paints). A couple coats of paint to get the right color, and a top coat of varnish (also available with the acrylic paints), and the hoop was finished. You can't tell here, but I only sealed, painted and varnished the outer hoop - I left the inner hoop natural wood after sanding.

I tried to be as neat as possible with the stitching, but I still wanted it covered up. I took a plain piece of neutral cotton fabric and glued it to the rim of the inner hoop, across the open area. After it dried, I trimmed off the excess and put the stitching over the top of it. And yes, I used a little fabric glue to hold my stitching in place, then trimmed off the excess stitching fabric after that dried. The painted outer hoop covers the edges nicely, and no threads peek through.

As a final touch, I wrote the name and wedding date of the happy couple on the inside hoop.

11 comments:

Rachel S said...

Those look wonderful. Great finishes!

Anna van Schurman said...

I like the hoop finish, and especially the final touch!

Lana said...

Those are beautiful!!!!

mainely stitching said...

GREAT finishing, Jennifer!!

Carolyn NC said...

Both are very cute!

Sally said...

They are both beautiful Jennifer!

Beatrice said...

Terrific job on all of the finishes.
I admire the fact that you got them done I have very little finishative...it takes me a long time to put things together.

Brigitte said...

Great stitching and finishing. I don't love the finishing part either andf I'm always glad when I can myself to finishing a couple of things.

Lynn said...

Really great finishes Jennifer! Finishing is not my forte either. I have a drawer of projects waiting for me to get to them. I get frustrated with the length of time it takes me to complete them when I could be stitching.

Marie-P said...

Great job on both of the ornaments. Clever idea to paint the wooden hoop and use it for finishing.

Jenna said...

Nicely done on both ornaments! You know me, though; I am partial to Just Nan and I've never actually seen Christmas Hearts stitched up, I don't think. Brilliant work with the painted hoop. I might have to consider this idea. Great work!