Monday, October 1, 2012

Catching up on some long overdue SBQs

I've been trying to come up with ways of blogging other than what's become typical for me - "Hey, look what I finished!"  I'm not much for progress photos because most of my stitching projects aren't massive undertakings like a HAED or a big Long Dog sampler (I leave those to my husband).  Plus I've been overwhelmed by digital images - I am the sole currator of our family photos, and we have a 2, soon to be 3, year old, which means we take a LOT of pictures.  I get tired of keeping up with them sometimes, but I usually prefer blog posts with at least one photo so I am stuck between the proverbial rock and hard place.

I also try to keep my "everyday life" stuff off my blog.  It's not that I don't want to share, and I certainly enjoy reading about other people's everyday lives, but because of some personal family issues, I am not comfortable publicly writing about my own.

So I am going to go back to answering the Stitching Bloggers Questions, currently being hosted by Lee, the Lake Stitcher.  At least I can provide a little more stitching related content.  I will also be linking back to Lee's original question  as many of the stitchers who participate in SBQ either answer the question in the comments, or link back to their blogs where they answer the questions.  If you get tired of checking in on my sadly neglected blog, perhaps you will find a "new to you" blog that will keep you going in my frequent absences. :-)  Let's go back to January and start from there, shall we?

January 2012:  What's the oldest pattern in your stash? (Either the one with the earliest publication date or the one you bought the longest ago.) What's it's story? Have you stitched it? (submitted by CinDC)

Oldest patterns in my stash?  I do have some vintage patterns (early 90s and before.  Wait.  Is early 90s vintage?  I hope not, seeing as how I just graduated HS) Anyway, said vintage patterns were given to me by a friend who traded in stitching for knitting.  She knew I stitched, and gave them to me to do with what I wanted.  They're not my style, but perhaps there's someone out there that's interested in them?  Please let me know if you are - I'm sure we can work something out.  You can check them out here.

As for oldest patterns I purchased myself, they'd probably be from the Dimensions kits we started buying at the craft store in our early stitching days.  The very first piece I ever stitched (along with my husband) is a piece that we did for our niece.  Since we finished it in 2003, it was our pre-digital camera days and I don't have an actual photo of the finished piece, but this is from another website:
God's Babies Birth Record by Dimensions

Eventually I will get a photo of the finished piece we did for our niece, but this is the oldest piece that currently resides in my stash.

1 comments:

Dianne said...

I have a few of those charts you have-the sports one for sure. My oldest-probably some from the late 1970s. I use to go to the Strawberry Sampler when it first opened-I was still in high school! (pretty sure) And you know how I love The Prairie Schoolers.
I am starting to warm up to the idea of stitching again when it gets too cold to geocache! : )